Since the start of the pandemic, the majority of the families in our program have lost jobs or are at an extremely reduced income level. Champions in Action already works with some of the most vulnerable populations in Guatemala City and the surrounding areas. This loss of income has been, and will continue to be catastrophic for these families.
- 92.5% of families depend on Champions in Action food bags as their main food source.
- 80% of families have experienced job loss or salary cuts due to the pandemic, some living on as little as $70/month for a family of 6.
- School will officially remain remote for the remainder of the 2020 year. 63% of kids say they don’t have the necessary materials/equipment to succeed at distance learning.
- Many youth have had to drop out of school recently due to being unable to pay for internet and other costs associated with distance learning. Only 21% of all our kids have access to internet.
- 72% of families who have needed medical attention or medicine have been unable to get access to care due to lack of finances.